As someone who has an affinity for all things popular culture; it always intrigues me to see other people’s opinions about all the different avenues of popular culture. Pop culture has become such a vast wonderland that flows down different avenues and gets influences from many different venues from all around that world. These avenues allow us to encounter new interesting ‘celebrities’ who we inevitably end up liking one a little more than the other. Whether our significant others like it or not, sometimes we develop a
celebrity crush. My only question is that based on the pantheon of the normal “Sexiest Man Alive” or “Most Beautiful Woman” choices that People magazine presents to us once a year and other media outlets push down our necks every day….do they fit your criteria? Does your personal taste and your personal celebrity crush fall within the usual guidelines and perimeters of who is chosen for “Sexiest Man” or “Most Beautiful Woman”? I was curious about this because some of my choices wouldn’t appear on the list and most of the ones that are up there….shouldn’t be.
To ensure that I was not alone I created a poll/questionnaire that I posted on a popular social media site (I won’t say which one but its the one that let’s you read people’s face) and the answers that I received astounded me.
As you see in the picture, in the questionnaire/survey I asked both male and female participants: agree/disagree with the choices for Sexiest Man and Most Beautiful Woman (the last 5 year’s worth of choices), who their celebrity crush was if it was not on the list, if their ‘type’ was also indicative of the person they were attracted to in real life, how big of a role that their celebrity crush’s popularity plays in the selection of their choice, and who their celebrity choices were 10/20 years ago.
I was pleased to receive responses for the questionnaire/survey from 23 people (24 if you include me).
- Adam Levine and Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson received an equal amount of votes for being a female’s celebrity crush while Scarlett Johansson received an overwhelmingly large amount of votes on the male end.
- Male celebrity crushes who were not on the list included: Chris Pratt, Joshua Bell, Clive Standen, JJ Watt, Kit Harrington. Females who were not on the list included: Jenna Fischer and Blake Lively.
- A resoundingly large percentage of the questionnaire/survey participants said that their celebrity crush is also indicative of their personal dating choice.
- All but two of the participants in the questionnaire/survey indicated that the celebrity’s popularity had nothing to do with their selection. But some did bring up the point that they would have never been exposed to this person, if not for their immense popularity.
- The female participants indicated that 10 years ago their crushes ranged anywhere from Ryan Gosling to the Backstreet Boys while they indicated that 20 years ago their crushes ranged from Peter Steele to Leonardo DiCaprio and Ben Affleck. The male participants also presented interesting choices for their crushes from 10 and 20 years ago. The male choices from 10 years ago ranged from Trish Stratus to Erica Durance while their choices from 10 years prior to that ranged from Terri Hatcher to WWF wrestler Sunny.
I won’t deny that I was surprised to read some of the participants responses, I was pleased to find out that I was not the only one that deviated from the usual list of ‘most _____ person’ . What did I truly learn from my investigation? In my investigation, I learned that we end up having crushes on people that we see and things that we love. My friend had a crush on Terri Hatcher back in the 90s but that was because he really liked Superman. Another friend really liked Peter Steele but that is because she was/is really into rock music. Without seeing these celebrities and being followers of them, these crushes wouldn’t exist. And even for me, you can’t really say that I am deviating from a norm or following a trend but take my celebrity crush as an example. Scarlett Johansson is my celebrity crush because….I mean…she’s Scarlett “the Black Widow” Johansson. Have you not seen her?!? 🙂
Sooo….How would you fill out my survey? Answer the questions in the comment section below.